Pre-Speech Pathology and Audiology
Normally, students are first admitted to the Pre-SPA program of study and matriculate as such during their freshman and sophomore years. All Pre-SPA students are assigned an advisor in the College of Education and Human Service’s Center for Student Advising and Records in 710 Allen Hall.
After completing the necessary Pre-SPA requirements (see below), a student may apply for admission to the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree program in Speech Pathology and Audiology.
It is the sole responsibility of the student to obtain an application to the major from the SPA administrative secretary in 805 Allen Hall, to complete the form, and to return it to her between February 15 and March 1.
Once applications have been reviewed and verified, students will receive a letter notifying them of the Department’s tentative admission decision. Students will be ranked according to their overall GPA for all undergraduate courses taken. The 45 Pre-SPA student applicants with the highest cumulative GPAs will be admitted to the B.S. degree program at the beginning of their junior year. Students who are not admitted are expected to declare another major and officially transfer to that department.
Students must into the B.S. program in Speech Pathology and Audiology by emailing Barbara.Brown@mail.wvu.edu.
To qualify for Pre-SPA admission, incoming freshmen must present an overall high school grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.00 or either an SAT score greater than 1050 or an ACT greater than 23. Students who transfer into Pre-SPA during their freshman or sophomore year from either another major at WVU or from another university must present a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 (A = 4.0) for undergraduate courses taken prior to the time of transfer.
Admitted students are considered Pre-SPA until they have met the requirements specified below and have applied for (and have been accepted into) the B.S. degree program in Speech Pathology and Audiology.
By March 1, Pre-SPA students seeking admission to the SPA major must hand-deliver a signed and completed Application into Speech Pathology and Audiology Degree Program to Barbara Brown in 805 Allen Hall.
The following are the minimum requirements for all Pre-SPA students applying for the SPA major:
1. Completion of at least 58 academic hours, including a letter grade of ‘C’ or better in each of the following courses:
– English 101 & 102 (or equivalent English 103)
– Foreign Language 101 & 102 (or equivalent)
– Statistics 211 (or Economics 225)
– Psychology 101
– Linguistics 101
– Physical (Natural) Science
– Biological (Life) Science
– Behavioral (Social) Science
2. Successful completion of SPA 199, Orientation to Speech Pathology and Audiology;
3. A letter grade of ‘B’ or better in SPA 200, Introduction to Communication Disorders;
4. A letter grade of ‘B’ or better in SPA 270, Effective Public Speaking;
5. A score of at least 80% on the SPA Qualifying Examination; and
6. An overall GPA of at least 3.00 (A = 4.0).
Click here for the
suggested course sequence for Pre-SPA and SPA students.
Back to Undergraduate Programs